Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Survival Guide for Teenagers with LD by Rhoda Cummings, Ed.D and Gary Fisher, Ph.D.

She walks through our high school media center most days. She has a quiet smile hidden by her downcast eyes. I greet her, offer her a funny comment, her smile grows. It seems her friends are few and far between but she is a very likable girl. I knew her as a youngster full of energy and joy. She's still that girl, I sense it. 

I didn't see her the day she checked out this book, The Survival Guide for Teenagers with LD by Rhoda Cummings, Ed.D and Gary Fisher, Ph.D., but I did see her the day she returned it. Her words: "You should read this. It's good. It tells about kids with LD. You need to know that." She was right; I needed to know that. 

I don't know if she is a "learning differences" student but this book surely connected with her. Perhaps she is identified as an LD learner, perhaps a sibling or friend is, or perhaps she liked the format of the book - it's readability. As the authors note, look through the table of contents and read just the sections that you are drawn to. They include: your rights, the law, advocating for yourself, finding and keeping a job, living on your own, friendships and dating, healthy living, education beyond high school, and simply being the best you can be.  I'm sure that my friend is in good hands knowing all that she learned about LD from Drs. Cummings and Fisher. 

Reviewed by Mrs. Boehm 

No comments:

Post a Comment