Monday, January 23, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Within the past year, and even more so within the past month due to the upcoming movie, The Hunger Games, written by Suzanne Collins, has been getting praise by readers globally. With this hype came my decision to hop on the wagon and read the novel, after all... why not? Boy, am I glad that I did!

Being set in the future where war and dispute split America into 12 districts, the novel begins in a hostile tone. Katniss, an independent sixteen year old girl, adopts the responsibility of taking care of her sister and mother in a destitute society where nothing comes easy and you must fight for everything that you have. In a place where the struggle for survival is almost constant, Katniss learns to think on her feet and do virtually anything to keep her family safe. Along with fighting starvation, the residents of the twelve districts under the age of eighteen must fret and worry about being entered into the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is a competition in which two tributes from each district, chosen at random, must fight to the death. What good comes from the games? The winner brings back food and riches to their district. What bad comes from the games? Out of 24 children, one person makes it alive.

At the beginning of the novel, against the odds, Katniss's little sister, Prim, gets chosen for the games. As anger and confusion fills Katniss's head, she willingly volunteers to take her little sister's spot, knowing that if Prim is sent to the games, she will be one of the first to die. The rest of the novel is filled with the love, deceit, hardship, and brutal loss that Katniss must face on her journey through the games. The games force one to abandon virtuous behavior and do anything that one can to keep themselves alive.

This novel is one of the fastest reads that I have ever read... it was nearly impossible for me to put down and always kept me on the edge of my seat! It also uses fairly simple language, contributing to the easy comprehension and fast-set pace. Overall, I would highly recommend this book IF you are over the age of fifteen. Some of the violence can get graphic, and some of the actions performed by the children can seem demoralizing.

Reviewed by BHS student R. Haupt

This book came highly recommended to me by many of my peers. After reading the first few pages, I could see why! I found myself unable to put the book down which happens with very few books for me. Although the characters were strongly developed and the imagery was at its best, the one element of the book that I found the most engrossing was the fast moving plot. As one crucial event was near its finish, the next was just beginning. It was as though I didn't want to blink my eyes in fear that I might miss something, although I knew I could just go back and read it again. I really did enjoy this book!

5 stars

Reviewed by BHS student T. Doud


Wow. I have heard what a good book this is since seventh grade, and I finally had the chance to read this year over winter break. I can't believe I waited so long. From the very beginning, I was enthralled. The setting, the characters; all of it drew me in. The Hunger Games is set in Panem, which has replaced North America. Every year, this thing called the Hunger Games happens. A male contestant and a female contestant are chosen from each of the twelve districts that make up Panem. After this part of the book starts, be warned: you will not be able to stop reading. The plot of this book keeps you on the edge of your chair. I was laughing at some parts and actually crying at others. I cannot wait to start reading the sequel, Catching Fire. I am waiting until I actually have some time before I start reading it because I know that once I pick it up, I won't be able to put it back down. Every person I have talked to about this book has felt the same way I have about this book, even people who don't normally like to read. I highly recommend this book to anyone, of any gender or age.

5 stars

Reviewed by BHS student S Traudt

No comments:

Post a Comment