Saturday, March 20, 2010

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork

One tool that school librarians use to select books for purchase is to watch the lists of 'Best' and 'Notable' titles. That's how I discovered Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork. The lists for Marcelo in the Real World include Best Books For Young Adults 2010, Best Books Of The Year 2009, Schneider Family Book Award: Teen 2010, and more. How can I go wrong buying this book for BHS? I'm not sure that it has found a teen reader yet. It seems to have been patiently waiting for someone to take it home for many months now. I've had my eye on it. I'm so glad that I picked it up to read.

Marcelo is a high-functioning autistic seventeen year old. Following his story taught me so much about Asperger's syndrome. Marcelo's father has decided that he should work one summer in the real world - the mailroom of his law firm. Although Marcelo resists, eventually he agrees to go to work with his father each day. The reward? He'll be able to attend his preferred high school in the fall if his father's plan proves to be a failure for Marcelo. In the real world Marcelo is forced to make tough decisions and realize that people and situations are not always perfect - including his father's business.

Give this one a try. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed by Mrs. Boehm

No comments:

Post a Comment