Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Calling all biology lovers! Have you hard of HeLa cells? No? Yes? Perhaps some of you have. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot is the story of the HeLa cells. HeLa is the name given by cell biologists as they were cells taken from Henrietta Lacks - hence, HeLa.

I did a quick, informal survey on Facebook asking if any of my friends had heard of HeLa. No googling, just tell me if you knew. Two thought they had seen a television show and one friend's son had talked about it at home. All others, 15 of my friends, had no clue. I found that fascinating with the hype for this book and story. I hypothesized that friends in the sciences would have known. I wondered how widespread the knowledge of HeLa would be. I was one who had no clue until my sister told me about this book. She had read it and it fascinated both of us.

Henrietta was a poor black woman who died of cancer in 1951 about the time medical science was attempting to replicate cells for studies and to combat polio. Her cells replicated at almost break-neck speed. They were then shared around the world, under the name HeLa cells, for research - completely unknown to her family. As a poor, uneducated family it was difficult for them to understand how Henrietta's cells were still alive today.

This is an interesting book to say the least. Whet your appetite for Henrietta's story here. Find the book in your library to enjoy an intimate insight from research the author did speaking to Henrietta's family. You'll learn more than biological science.

Watch Rebecca Skloot talk about writing The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.



Reviewed by Mrs. Boehm

No comments:

Post a Comment