Sunday, December 5, 2010

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

There is one sentence on the book jacket's author bio that I am always drawn to - "This is her first novel." Why do I like that? I've read many books by first time authors that have been impressive, even award winning stories. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver is another and she does not disappoint. To realize that this is Oliver's first book is impressive.

Let's take a look at the cover where another sentence caught my attention - "You'll have no choice but to tear through this book!" I did - finished it in one day, actually a half day and I don't consider myself a fast reader. Here's why.

Samantha is a high school senior in the group of popular kids. In many ways she and her friends are bullies to others. The opening chapters make that very clear as they ridicule their fellow students. Then one night after a drunken party, Sam and her friends are in a tragic car accident, hospitalizing and killing some. The story takes an unusual twist when Sam wakes up the next morning only to realize that fateful day is repeating. She actually repeats that horrific Friday seven times! Each time with subtle changes to the day and of course she begins to change how she approaches each day differently.

What would you do if you could repeat a day? Would you have any regrets? Would you amend your attitude? Treat others differently? Try harder in school? Be kind to your sisters or brothers? Respect your parents? Each day that Sam can repeat the day she grows stronger and more mature finally seizing the opportunity to do the right thing.

This book is also a romance story but not in the sense that only a girl would want to read it. Even the high school boys play an essential role in the outcome. When finished, I was both sad yet proud of Samantha's seventh day. I hope you will be too. You'll definitely be thinking "what would I do" for a long time.

Reviewed by Mrs. Boehm

No comments:

Post a Comment