Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Witch & Wizard by James Patterson

James Patterson has endeared himself to teen readers with his Maximum Ride series of thrilling books. Witch & Wizard is the first in a new series that may also prove to be as popular, then again probably not. I must point out that the cover image is excellent. I did judge this book by the cover and noticed the fiery W more than the title on the cover. Did you observe the two faces that are part of the flames? Every time I saw this cover on the library shelf I was drawn to read it. And so I did.

Whit and Wisty are brother (16) and sister (14) who learn one frightful morning that they are a witch and wizard being sought for imprisonment by the New Order. They have never known of their magical powers so have never used them but now this magic may be all that will save them. They are forcefully removed from their home while their loving parents watch, powerless to intervene.

The story continues from one horrendous situation to another with magical elements that quickly save the pair when hope seems to be lost. There are parallels to the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling as well, which I found trite. Aside from the main characters being a witch and a wizard, the New Order is being lead by The-One-Who-Is-The-One—a close copy to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Lord Voldemort.

If you read this and agree with my analysis, please send a comment. If I’m way off base, let me know why. I’d love to know what others thought of this book that seems to have been very quickly written.

Reviewed by Mrs. Boehm

No comments:

Post a Comment