Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Arrival by Shaun Tan

This “new” book looks like it came from my mother’s 50 year old library in her 100 year old Victorian house. It’s not a pretty book by today’s standards; it looks old, faded and brown. When I start leafing through the pages, I see wonderful drawings on every page but there is not any text. The Arrival by Shaun Tan is a graphic novel and tells the story of a man immigrating to a new world and what he experiences in a strange new land while missing his family that he left behind.

I found that I had to be in a silent room and concentrate on each drawing so that I didn’t miss any details of the story. Once I started reading the book by “looking” at the drawings, it was very easy to understand and I especially liked the little animals in the story. I enjoyed my first experience reading this ‘graphic novel’ and I plan to read more.

Reviewed by Mrs. Finney

No comments:

Post a Comment